Demystifying Palliative Care, with Kelly Arthurs
Julie speaks with experienced Clinical Nurse Consultant, Kelly Arthurs, a Registered Nurse who specialises in Palliative Care. It’s a very important topic that is often not discussed openly in Aged Care because people don’t know how to ask the right questions or what to say or do, and Kelly has great insights to share.
Kelly explains what Palliative Care is, including the 5 phases of Palliative Care, because it’s something people often are confused about. She shares a bit about her background and what inspired her to specialise in Palliative Care, as well as about the Hammond Care Centre for Learning and Research in Palliative Care.
Julie and Kelly discuss how people working in Aged Care can connect with their local Palliative Care unit, as well as some resources for families or staff to use. Kelly also emphasises the power of information to equip staff and families with the knowledge of what death and dying looks like and how to make it a beautiful time for families.
Kelly shares some tools to use, including the ‘surprise’ question, and why we need to take the opportunity to plan for good deaths even though it might be scary or hard to talk about. Finally, Julie and Kelly discuss lifting the profile and advocating for the field of Palliative Care, and some top tips for those to support clients in Palliative Care.
Some resources from this episode:
- Hammond Care Centre for Learning and Research in Palliative Care: https://www.hammond.com.au/services/palliative-centre
- Palliative Care Bridge: http://www.palliativecarebridge.com.au
- Free ‘Dying2Learn’ course from Flinders University and Caresearch https://www.caresearch.com.au/caresearch/tabid/2868/Default.aspx
- ‘Let’s Talk About Dying’ TED Talk by Dr. Peter Saul: https://www.ted.com/talks/peter_saul_let_s_talk_about_dying
- ‘Love is not enough’ video from Advanced Care Planning Australia: http://www.advancecareplanning.org.au/resources/love-is-not-enough
- Dr. Kathryn Mannix ‘In My Humble Opinion’ video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CruBRZh8quc
This episode is proudly brought to you by the Enhancing Emotional Wellbeing in late life workshop. This essential training is for anyone supporting older adults, seeking practical strategies to reduce isolation and loneliness, and help older adults make new and exciting as well as fulfilling moments. Find out more today from Wisecare.com.au You can also follow Dr. Julie Bajic Smith on Facebook and Instagram @wisecareau
Buy my book "Beyond the Reluctant Move"
Find out about my Courses
Download my popular Resources